Modification Mondays: Nerdy Neiman


Original Pattern:
Neiman

Knitter Extraordinaire: Jen (Rav id ; Flickr id)

Mods: Used the construction of Neiman but changed the colourwork to include more of the body, as well as one sleeve. Oh, and changed the colourwork to include charted characters from the classic (and seriously awesome) video game, Space Invaders. More information is on her Ravelry project page.

What Makes this Awesome:Well, the space invaders, obviously. This is the kind of cool colourwork that has people asking you where you got that sweater every single time you wear it in public. I’m also impressed that this project was undertaken as both a de-stash and Ravelympics project- that means that she knit this entire sweater in 16 days. With stranded colourwork. And a heavily modified pattern. Seriously impressive!!

I have to admit I’m considering shamelessly copying here idea- it’s such a clever sweater, and a great modification- taking a well constructed sweater design and using it as the canvas for your own colourwork idea.

The Endless WIP, and a Quick FO

I’ve been quietly working away on the Apres Surf Hoodie for a couple of weeks now, after I joined the mini KAL that started on Ravelry recently. I’ve also been working on the Leyburn sock. Although in a fit of cleaning I tucked it somewhere safe and cat-proof, and when I was taking photos, I couldn’t find it. You know how it goes.

I knit, every day. So you’d think I’d be making some good progress, right?

WRONG. I have no idea what’s up with my knitting at the moment. I was having a lot of difficulty with the Leyburn sock, so I frogged it, decided to give it a couple weeks so I could cool off, and then I’d try it again. I’ve recently cast on for it again, but it is currently little more than a toe pocket.

As for the Apres Surf Hoodie, which I’m calling my Reading Hoodie (I don’t surf, but I have read 5 books so far while knitting it…), I made the decision to knit it in the round instead of separately front and back. I figured I’d save myself an evening of seaming in lace, which seemed so clever at the time. But then my brain decided to have tremendous difficulty in adapting the pattern for working in the round (possibly because 4 of the 5 books I was reading were the Twilight series…bloody distracting books!), particularly when it came into increasing in the pattern. Le sigh.

So in the mean time, I decided to churn out a quick knit just to keep my knitting morale up:
Pattern: Mary Jane Booties

Needles: 3.5 mm

Yarn: Stash DK weight, fingering weight for embroidery details

Mods: I went up .5 a needle size, since they seem to be very small. I’m glad I did, I think it helped a bit. And, of course, the embroidery- just a little extra detail to make them extra pretty.

Notes: These were a very quick knit. I knit both booties in the same day, and then embroidered on the details the next day. buttons were harder to find, but ta-da! I’m really pleased with how they turned out.
With all the people I know who are pregnant, one of my goals this summer/fall is to stockpile some baby knits, as I know of three new babies that will be coming into my circle of family and friends between August and October of this year. Hopefully one of them will be a girl, so they can receive these lovely little mary janes. And if not- well, I know that these are not the last babies that will be coming my way. I’ll just stockpile!

Modification Mondays: gurmanfravor’s Sunny Day Hat


Original Pattern: Rainy Day Fingerless Gloves and Three Tams

Knitter Extraordinaire: gurmanfravor

Mods: Took the construction for the hat from Three Tams, and added the cheerful and bright colourwork from the fingerless gloves. (details on her Ravelry project page)


What Makes this Awesome: I’m particularly impressed with this fabulous mash up- two great patterns combined into one! And who doesn’t need a shot of cheery colours and a remind that spring will come back eventually? I love this hat. I especially love the sun on the crown of the tam! And I’m willing to bet that the stranded colourwork helps make the hat extra warm. Great job!

Modification Mondays: Shetland Not-So-Shorty


Original Pattern: Shetland Shorty

Knitter Extraordinaire: Shannon (rav id: ShannonAnn )

Mods: turned this popular bolero into a fabulous vest

What Makes This Awesome: I love the little Shetland Shorty Bolero, but seeing Shannon’s fabulous modification, I’m just in awe- she stayed in keeping with the pattern of the garter tie band by knitting the body in the round with the garter stitch (details on her ravelry project page). That’s the best part of a mod like this- it’s so simple, yet completely changes the entire look and feel of the pattern. Result? A truly fabulous knit. And can I just say how much I love her yarn and colour choice? Gorgeous!! This one has been in my queue for ages, but I just haven’t got around to knitting it yet (ahem, like so many things in my 100+ queue…).

FO: Lelah

Pattern: Lelah

Needles:
3 mm for lace, 2.5 for bust (stockinette)

Yarn: Romni Wools Angora Silk

Mods:
None, other than the standard measuring and calculating that go with this pattern.

Notes: I couldn’t have picked a more perfect project for this yarn. the silk/mohair blend gives the yarn strength, softness, and good drape. And the mohair gives the white yarn a faint halo effect. So pretty! I will say this, though- wet silk is gross. and it really lengthened dramatically once wet blocked- I’d say by about 3-4 extra inches. which is fine for this type of project, but potentially not so fine for others. I love the little green velvet ribbon; it is exactly what I wanted. I was fortunate enough to pick up the notions for this during the TTC knitalong, which meant that I didn’t have to wait too long before I could finish this one up. I think I really love it!