FO: Cable Caplet

I’m recently back from the cottage (have I mentioned before it’s media-free? no TV, no cell service, no internet!), where we had a lovely time with G’s parents, and did lots of my favourite winter activity- snowshoeing. I love snowshoeing out in the woods around the cabin, following the tracks of the deer, until we find shapes like these:


That, my lovelies, is a deer bed. Deer tend to sleep on higher ground, and they never sleep in the same area twice to avoid detection by predators. I adore how they soundlessly journey all around the cottage and the woods, leaving their lovely little tracks in the snow. When I go snowshoeing, I try to follow the track until I find a lovely deer bed. The one above is particularly detailed- you can actually see the shape of how the deer lay it’s head down. See where the ears were? It feels so magical to come across such a perfect deer bed.

And while at the cottage, we also got around to doing this:

Dog Sledding

Dog sledding was AMAZING!! I totally recommend. 

And of course, doing some FO shots.

Pattern: Cable Neck Piece 

Yarns: Mirasol Sulka. I love, love, love this yarn….


Notes: I’m a sucker for caplets. I find them really wearable- I just plunk them on anytime I’m wearing a long sleeved t-shirt, and they just work. I feel like I look really tired in these photos but I think it’s just because I’m really, really cold and should have worn more eye make up, even if I was in ‘cottage mode’. We were snowshoeing, and I just quickly stripped down so we could grab the photos, and I was shivering the whole time. Off the the right, beyond the frame of the photos, my jacket, sweater, hat, and mitts are resting on a tree branch.


I wish I could have made the collar a bit longer so it would have folded over a bit better, but I was running out of yarn- one more skein would have done the trick. Regardless, I love this cozy caplet- it’s super soft, super warm, and lots of fun to wear.

Cabled Caplet

Modification Monday: I Love to Knit Mittens

How perfect is this Mod Monday for Valentine’s Day?!

Original Pattern: #08 Potpourri

Knitter Extraordinaire: Susan (Ravelry ID, blog)

Mods: Changed the mitten chart to have the heart design, the words, and the adorable sheep. Let’s take a closer look at the palm  of the right mitt, shall we?

Such a cute sheep!

What Makes This Awesome: I love the red and white, the hearts, and the way she used these lovely mitts as a blueprint for playing with new charted designs. And hey, I love yarn a heck of a lot, I’d defitiely want a pair of mittens that proclaims the fact. Not to mention I think that may be the cutest little sheep ever. These are beautiful mitts! Project page can be found here.

FO: Green Loop

Pattern: Triangle Loop

Yarn: Cascade 220 Heathers and Knitpicks Telemark

Mods: None, except possibly made it a bit shorter. I didn’t measure.


Notes: This was really such a fun knit. Knitting the scarf in the round means it’s doubled up and extra cozy, and the colourwork was easy to memorize. Plus, this was pretty much a 1 skein sort of project- it only takes one skein of each colour to make this great little cowl.Watching the little triangles develop was so addictive!


Afterwards I thought how pretty this pattern would be with one skein of a variegated yarn and another solid colour yarn. Next time I’m going to try that, a lot of people who saw me knitting this were interested in having one of their own. We’ll see if they are that lucky!

UPDATE: The sweater I’m wearing is indeed from Mango, and the pin is my absolute favourite- I’ll get a close up show of it very soon and post a little story about it next week. It has a lot of meaning for me.

I’m off to the cottage for a few days, enjoying the winter. Just what I need after a week-long bout with the flu. Not fun at all. Good thing I had all that hot chocolate to keep me going.

The Seven Days of Hot Chocolate: White Chocolate Chai

This is the last recipe on the Seven Days of Hot Chocolate! I honestly could have come up with another seven very easily, so I’m thinking I’ll do this again next winter. But this season, if you love chai, then this is really, really for you.



3 cups of milk (26 fl. ounces)
100 g white chocolate
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice

melt the white chocolate into a saucepan of milk on
medium-low heat. Stir in sugar and vanilla extract. Stir in the spicesand let simmer very gently for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
Then pour into cups and enjoy!


  • use vanilla flavoured soy milk instead of regular milk; omit additional vanilla and sugar
  • you could make do with just the cinnamon and the cardamom, but the nutmeg and allspice really round out the flavour

The Seven Days of Hot Chocolate: Banana Hot Chocolate

Recipe: Banana Hot Chocolate

Recipe: Banana Hot Chocolate

Bananas AND chocolate? Monkeys everywhere just lost their minds. 


3 cups of milk (26 fl. ounces)
60 g dark chocolate
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup sugar
1 banana, ripe

Directions: Blend the banana and half of the milk in a blender, adding the vanilla to the blended mixture. Seperately, melt the dark chocolate into a saucepan of milk on
medium-low heat. Stir in sugar, vanilla extract, and then fold in thed blended banana mixture. Simmer on low heat for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
Then pour into cups and enjoy!


  • use vanilla flavoured soy milk instead of regular milk; omit additional vanilla and reduce added sugar
  • use 1/3 cup cocoa powder instead of dark chocolate. Not as smooth, but still good!
  • use 1/4 cup of agave nectar if you are avoiding refined sugar